Physical Count (Inventory Count)
This article explains how to create and post a physical
count of your on hand inventory.
Create a New Physical Count
- Open the Parts menu and select Physical Count.
- The Physical Count screen lists any open counts that have not yet been posted. To continue with an existing
physical count, click on the count number. If you have multiple inventory
warehouses, ensure that the correct warehouse is selected from the drop-down
list. Each physical count is tied to a specific inventory warehouse.
- To begin a new physical count, click on Add New Count.
- Select the inventory warehouse where the count is being performed and click OK.
- A unique physical count number will be generated and displayed at the top
- In the top pane, a part location, part number, and quantity can be
entered to be added to the count. If you are using a hand scanner instead
of keyboard entry, click on the Switch to Scan Method
button. In scan method mode, EMDECS will recognize locations and part
numbers entered using your barcode scanner.
- To set a location for the parts being counted, click on Set Count
Location, then enter the Store Room, Row, Shelf, and/or Bin numbers
and click the Set Count Location button to save the location.
- Once the count location is set, start typing in the part number being
counted. EMDECS will search automatically and display results in a
drop-down list. Click on the part number.
- Enter the quantity of parts counted and click Count.
- The counted part is added to the physical count part list.
- To change the part count location, click on the red X icon. Then you
can select a new location to continue with your count.
Generate List of Parts to Count
Alternatively, instead of entering part locations and part numbers as you
move around your warehouse counting them, you can generate a list of parts to
be counted, count and record the quantities on paper, then return to the
computer later to complete your data entry.
- Click on Generate List of Parts.
- The list of parts can be generated based on the part location, count cycle,
product group, inventory class and line, or the preferred vendor, and can be sorted by up to three different options. Users may also choose options on the right-hand side to include parts based on the active status, stock status, and transaction history.
- For example, options can be selected to sort alphabetically by part number and product group,
then click Generate to create the list to count.
- In the example below, the generated list of parts has been added with the
default count set to 0:
- Click the Print Count Sheet button to create a PDF file for
- The count sheet contains blank spaces for you to enter counts with pen and
- To associate a part with a third party vendor UPC barcode,
click on Add UPC Barcode.
- Scan the barcode with a barcode scanner, enter a quantity of parts in the
package, and click OK to save.
Post Physical Count
- After all part counts have been entered, click on Post.
- To finalize and post the physical count, select an effective date and
time and click Post to finalize the count.
From the History tab, users can review previous physical counts. Click
on any Count # to drill down.
Warehouse Part Locations Tab
Warehouse part locations that can be used in your physical counts are listed
in its own tab.
To add new parts storage locations, click on the Add New Location
link then fill in the form and click OK to save.