Click on the square at the bottom right-hand corner to view the video in full screen mode.
Cashier Manager Step-by-Step Walkthrough
The following walkthrough provides a step-by-step guide of how cashier
managers can sign in and use the EMDECS cash drawer system.
To start a new day and begin using the cash drawer, follow the steps
- Sign in to EMDECS by loading https://www.emdecs.com/kona/ and sign
in with their BrightOrder supplied username and password.
- Open the Financials menu and
select POS Manager.
- The POS Manager opens to the Retail Day tab.
Any active shifts will be listed on this screen.
For each calendar day, there can only be one
business day. There can be many shifts within the business day (i.e.
morning, afternoon, evening, etc.). Each cashier can open and close
multiple shifts within a day. To start a new business day, click Start
After starting a day, the screen will refresh
with a retail day number and the current date. The Start day button will change
to an End day button.
Do not click End day to end the current day until all
shifts have been completed. If you end a day early, you will be unable to
start a new retail day until the next calendar date (after midnight).
EMDECS does not allow two retail days to exist on the same calendar day and
there is no undo option once a day has been ended.
- Clicking Refresh after a
cashier has started their shift will display their shift start in the Shifts section.
- From the Cashier Payout tab,
you can add or remove cash assigned to the cash drawer. Payout history
can be viewed by changing the From and To Date then clicking Refresh. Put a check next to Include
Voided to display voided payouts.
In this example, the cashier started their shift
with $0 in the drawer. To add a cash float, click on the payout # or
click Add Cashier Payout.
- Select the IN or OUT radio button at the top to indicate whether you are putting cash into the
register, or taking cash out of the register. Select a shift from the drop-down list, then
enter a dollar amount at the bottom. Entering a reason is optional.
In the example below, I'm adding a cash float of $150 to the drawer. Click Save / Exit at the bottom
of the window to save the transaction.
- The payout will be added to the payout list. To edit a payout, click on the payout #
hyperlink. If a payout needs to be reversed, use the Void check boxes in the rightmost column.
- To view history and run reports of cash drawer
transactions, open the End Day History tab. Print buttons are available next to each
day. Click print to generate a PDF report of the day's transactions. In the bottom pane, each employee's shift for the
day will be displayed, along with a status and deposit amount at the end of
- Example of day end report:
- To close / end a day, return to the Retail
Day tab. If there are still open shifts, the End day button will be greyed out. All cashiers need to close their shifts before
the manager can end the day. Click End day to end the
After the day has been ended, you will be unable to start a new day
until the next calendar day (after midnight).
Cash Drawer System
Requirements and Software Installation
We currently support the following cash drawer models:
- MS Cash Drawer J-184-USB-B
- APG Cash Drawer JB484A-BL2020-C
The Cash Drawer module requires Windows 7 or higher (Windows 10 recommended)
with Java (32-bit) installed. Internet Explorer 11, which comes
pre-installed in Windows 7 and higher, needs to be used to sign in to EMDECS
and use the cash drawer system. Windows 10 also comes packaged with
Microsoft Edge. In order to use the Cash Drawer Java application,
Internet Explorer must be used instead of Edge. Google Chrome and Mozilla
Firefox do not support Java plug-ins.
Install and Configure Java
Complete the following steps to install and configure Java:
- Java can be downloaded and installed by opening
the following link: https://javadl.oracle.com/webapps/download/AutoDL?BundleId=242058_3d5a2bb8f8d4428bbe94aed7ec7ae784
Alternatively, visit https://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp and click on the Windows Offline link to download Java.
Note: Do not install the "Windows Offline (64-bit)"
version. The cash drawer system has only been tested using the 32-bit
version of Java.
- Open/run the Java installation file to step through the installation wizard.
- After installing Java, it needs to be configured
to allow the EMDECS website to access Java. Search for and open theConfigure Java app from the Windows search bar.
- A Java Control Panel screen will pop-up.
Open the Security tab then click Edit Site List.
- Click Add.
- Enter the URL of your EMDECS sign in page.
Typically this will be https://emdecs.com/kona
For former PACCAR Connect customers, please enter https://paccar.perfitcomputer.com/
Former DAF Connect customers in Europe,
please enter https://daf.perfitcomputer.com/
Click OK to save the exception.
- Click OK to close the Java
- After installing and configuring Java, open
Internet Explorer. A security pop-up will appear at the bottom of the
Internet Explorer window to enable the Java Plug-In Helper. Click Enable.
Cash Drawer Software
After installing Java and connecting the cash drawer to the PC, complete the
following steps to install the cash drawer configuration program:
- Click here to download the Cash Drawer software installation
- Open the file download to run the installation wizard. Click Next to begin the
- Click Next to use the default
installation folder. Advanced users can click Browse to choose a different installation folder.
- Click Next to confirm the
- Wait while the software is installed.
- Click Close to complete the
installation and launch the cash drawer server application.
- From the configuration screen, click on either
the Generic Serial Port option or the MS Cash Drawer USB option, depending on
how your cash drawer is connected to the PC. You can click the Test button to test the connection to your cash drawer. Change the ports and
re-test as needed.
User and Employee
This section outlines steps required to set up users and employees to have
access to the cash drawer screens in EMDECS.
Assign the Cashier and/or
Cashier Manager Software to Users
A user and employee record need to be created for each cashier and cashier
manager. Companies that do not have a set cashier can create a generic
employee record and user to be shared by any employees who handle cash
Complete the following steps to set up user accounts:
- Open Administration → User
Accounts → User Manager then select the
appropriate user from the Users list on the left-hand side, select the Security tab, and click Add Software.
- For cashiers, click on the Cashier software to highlight it and click Add.
For cashier managers, select the Cashier
Manager software instead. You can also add both software
packages to the same user if the user is performing the work of both a cashier
manager and cashier.
- Software added to users is listed in the
software section, as shown in the example below:
- Open the Regions/Repair Locations tab and ensure that the user has been added to any repair location where they
will be operating a cash drawer. Use the Add Repair Location button to add additional locations, as required.
For each user configured in the section above, an employee record needs to
be created, linked to the user account, and tied to the cashier type and
location(s). Complete the following steps:
- Open Administration → User
Accounts → Employee Manager then select the
appropriate employee from the list on the left-hand side. If the employee
does not already exist, click New Employee to add the new
After selecting the employee, click on the Assign link in the
- Highlight the appropriate user and click Assign.
- The user has now been assigned to the employee,
as indicated in the example below:
- The employee also needs to be assigned the
"cashier" type in order to operate the cash drawer. Open the Types tab and click Add Type.
- Select an effective date, the cashier type, then
- The Cashier type has been added, as pictured
Employees can be set to multiple
types. For example, a cashier manager who operates the cash drawer may be
assigned both the Manager type and the Cashier type.
In addition to the type, the employee needs to
be assigned to any locations where they operate cash drawers. Open the Locations
tab. If the location(s) is not already listed, click Add Location
- Select a location, and enter from and to dates.
Click Add to save the new location.
Add Cash Drawers and Cashiers
to a Location
This section explains how to add new cash drawers and new cashiers to a
Add New Cash Drawer
Cash drawers need to be added to each repair location using a cash drawer
system using the following steps:
- Browse to Administration → Corporate Setup Manager → Repair Locations.
From the Repair Locations tab, click on the
location code for the location/facility with the cash drawer.
- Select the Cash Drawers tab
then click Add Cash Drawer.
- Enter a drawer number and click Save/Exit.
Repeat these steps if there are multiple cash drawers at the location.
Add New Cashier to a Repair
Employees must be assigned the cashier type in each location they work in
using the following steps:
- Select the Cashiers tab and
click Add Cashier.
- Select the cashier's name from the drop-down
list and set an effective date. The expiry date is optional. Click Save/Exit to add the cashier.
Create Cashier Labor Shifts
Labor shifts (i.e. day shift, evening shift, overnight shift) need to be
created for each type of shift worked by cashiers in any of your location. Use
the following steps to create labor shifts:
- Open Administration → Standard
Codes → select the Customer tab → select the Labor
- Labor shifts can be created by clicking Add and entering a code and description. Existing shifts can be editing by
typing directly in the text fields. To remove a shift, click on the red X
at the far right then empty the trash bin.